The Fulton County Historical Museum is housed in an 1868 Romanesque Revival
two-story brick building rich in Fulton County history. The building served as
Wauseon's first High School until 1897. In the middle of the 1896-1897 school
year, the building had to be condemned because the foundation was sinking. In
1898 the former High School was renovated into a duplex and the Victorian porch
was added. In 1903 the Fulton County medical association bought the former High
school and from about 1905 until 1930 the building served as Fulton County 's
first hospital. In 1945 the former hospital was converted into four apartments.
In 1969 the building was donated to the Fulton County Historical Society. Today
there are sixteen rooms housing a permanent collection and changing exhibits.
The Blacksmith Shop, Log Cabin and Swan Creek Township
Hall are open during the Fulton County Fair and other special events
held at the Fairgrounds.
The first picture was taken when the building served as
Wauseon's First High School. 1868-1897.
picture is how it looks today.
Southern Railroad Depot
The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad Depot
was constructed in 1896 on
Ohio, when a subdivision of the New York Central Railroad.
The current depot replaced the wooden 1854 Southern Michigan & Northern
Indiana Railroad Company "Airline" depot at this location. The masonry
structure is a fine example of Richardson Romanesque architecture,
resembles other New York Central stations in the east, and is listed on
the Secretary of the Interior's National Register of Historic Places. In
1957 passenger service ended in Wauseon -- although currently Amtrak
still passes the depot each day. The city of
acquired the building in about 1972. The depot was restored and has been
used by the Fulton County Historical Society since 1975 -- housing
artifacts relevant to the history of the eight railroads that once
traversed the county. A restored Baltimore & Ohio caboose is also
located on this site and available for tours. Model train enthusiasts
will enjoy the large "O" gauge working model train display created by
the Swanton Area Model Railroad Club
The train depot is located on
Depot Street in Wauseon, Ohio.
For more information
Admission: Adults $
3.00/ Seniors $2.00/ Students $1.00
Heman Canfield Log
Canfield log Cabin was built in 1838 in Chesterfield
Fulton County Ohio. The Canfield's lived in the log cabin for twenty-two
years. James and Lydia Breese Deyo purchased the log cabin in 1893 and
lived there until James dies in 1931. The last owner of the log cabin
was Emmett Lasalle who purchased the log cabin on
. He lived
in the log cabin until November 1976. The log cabin was never equipped
with electricity or running water. In 1981 the log cabin was acquired,
dismantled, and moved to the
Swancreek Township School & Township Hall
According to county maps owned by
the Fulton County Historical Society, this Swancreek Township School
House was built sometime between 1868 and 1888 near the Fulton County
village of Raker (corner of roads D and 6). Mr. William Jefferson Lutz
was active on the school board at the time, and pushed for the
creation of enough school houses so that no township child should have
to walk more than one mile to school. In 1939, grades 1-8 in the
township were moved to Delta, Swanton or Liberty Center (depending on
where they lived) to more “modern” facilities and this school house
was moved to the corner of roads D and 5-1 and became the home of the
Swancreek Township Trustees. The building also served as one of the
voting precincts for the township into the turn-of
the-twenty-first-century. In 2001, the trustees built a new township
hall and the building was donated to the Fulton County Historical
Society and is now preserved at the Fulton County Fairgrounds. Until
the new township hall was built, the original outhouse behind the
township hall was still the only bathroom facilities at the site.
Built in 1861 by Henry Harrison Reighard, the blacksmith
shop was located on the corner of
Lincoln Streets in Delta, Ohio
. His son Rapheal Reighard, later opened the blacksmith shop. A working
forge for more than 138 years, it was the last blacksmith shop in Delta.
The late Mrs. Rapheal (Ethel) Reighard donated the blacksmith shop to
the Fulton County Historical Society, and it was moved to the Fulton
County Historical Society in 1972. Today the blacksmith shop still
remains a working forge, and houses antique tools and other artifacts.
The blacksmith shop is housed at the Fulton County fairgrounds.